Revised 4/15/2017. Copyright @2017; The following Documentary Timeline has been compiled and created by Paul Rhetts. It may be copied for research purposes; but it may not be reproduced for inclusion in any printed or electronic distribution of any kind without the express written permission of the author. Any requests to use this information should be sent to Paul Rhetts,

George RIDLEY (1761-1818) m. (1) Abigail WEBBER (1757-1817), (2) Molly Mary Ellen HOPKINS (1776-1830)
s/o James Ridley (1717-1797) m. (1) Ruth Small (1718-1752), (2) Mary Small (1718-1798)
d/o Simeon Hopkins (1758-1778) m. _____

25 Oct 1757 Abigail Webber born – no kids

1761 George Ridley born at Harpswell, Cumberland, ME

7 May 1776 Molly Mary Ellen Hopkins born at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME [
One possibility is the Simeon Hopkins 1758-1778 as father but no proof] [Lineage Book of DAR Vol 078, p.44: states Molly Hopkins (1776-1830) married George Ridley in 1784 (doc)]

8 Feb 1777 George Ridley (age 15 or 16; considered one of the youngest in the 6th MA Regt.) enlisted in Capt John Reed’s Company and served for 3 years 3 months. Served at General Sullivan’s Susquehana Expedition and at Cherry Valley Massacre; Battle of Monmouth; Cobleskill; Saratoga Campaign; Fort Edward & Fort Ann. He is listed in Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in the Revolutionary War, p. 324 (doc) “Ridley, George, Harpswell. List of men raised to serve in the Continental Army from Capt. John Snow’s (2d Harpswell) co, Col. Jonathan Mitchell’s (2d Cumberland Co) regt; residence, Harpswell; engaged for town of Harpswell; joined Capt. John Read’s co, Col. Oldin’s (Alden’s) regt; term 3 years; also, Private, Capt. Reed’s co, Col. Brook’s regt; Continental Army pay accounts for service from Feb 8, 1777 to Feb 8 1780; also Capt Reed’s co, Col. Ichabod Alden’s regt; return dated Jan 12 1778; reported left sick at Boston; also Capt Reed’s co (late) Col. Alden’s regt; return of men who were in camp before Aug. 15, 1777, and who had not been absent subsequently except on furlough, etc., certified at Cherry Valley, Feb 24, 1779; also Capt. Reed’s co, (late) Col. Alden’s regt; muster roll for March and April, 1779, dated Cherry Valley; enlisted Feb 8, 1777; reported sick at Boston.”
[Lineage Book of DAR Vol 078, p.44: “ George Ridley (1761-1818) served as private in Capt. John Snow’s company, Col. Jonathan Mitchell’s 2
nd Cumberland County regiment; also 1778-80, served several other enlistments under different commands. He was born in Harpswell; died in Bowdoin.” (doc)
th (7th) MA Regiment of the Continental Line - Roll of Maine Men: “George Ridley was born about 1761 in Harpswell, ME. He was the son of James Ridley & Mary Small. He enlisted from Harpswell, ME under Captain Reed on 8 February 1777. He served in the 6th Massachusetts Regiment from 8 February 1777 to 8 February 1780. Ridley lived in Bowdoin, ME. George married Molly Hopkinson 13 December 1785 in Harpswell, ME. Ridley died on 31 October 1818 in Bowdoin, ME. His pension file number is S37336.”

10 May 1778 George Ridley married Abigail Webber at Harpswell, Cumberland, ME

1780 George Ridley ME Revolutionary War Land Grant; Bowdoin, ME; Spouse: Mary Rogers; Maine Land Grant (doc)

1 Aug 1785 Son Simeon Ridley born at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME

13 Dec 1785 George Ridley and Molly Mary Ellen Hopkins married at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME [Lineage Book of DAR Vol 078, p.44: states first marriage in 1784 (doc)]

1 Apr 1788 Dau Elizabeth (Betsey) Ridley born at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME

1790 Census Bowdoin, Lincoln, ME—George Ridly: Males <16=2; Males 16>=1; Females=2 (doc)

4 Jun 1790 Son Capt George R Ridley born at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME

5 Mar 1792 Dau Mary Ridley born at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME

11 Nov 1794 Son James Ridley born at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME

29 Apr 1797 Son Elisha Ridley born at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME

18 Jul 1799 Son Alexander Ridley born at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME

1800 Census Bowdoin, Lincoln, ME—George Ridley: Males <10=2; Males 10-15=2; Males 26-44=1; Females <10=2; Females 10-15=1; Females 26-44=1 (doc)

12 Jan 1803 Son Ambrose Ridley born at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME

20 Mar 1804 Dau Isabella Ridley born at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME

1810 Census Bowdoin, Lincoln, ME—George Ridley: Males <10=1; Males 10-15=2; Males 16-25-2; Males 45+=1; Females <10=1; Females 16-25=1; Females 26-44=1; Females 45+=1; Slaves 1 (doc)

21 Feb 1817 Abigail Webber died

10 Apr 1818 Pension Enrollment date, Lincoln, ME; Service: Mass. Line.
His pension file number is S37336.  (doc)

31 Oct 1818 George Ridley died at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME [ME Revolutionary War Bounty Application, 1835-36: George Ridley, Harpswell, Bowdoin; Widow: Mary Rogers

1819 Revolutionary War Pension Application: Survivor’s Pension, Pub #M804; Roll #2046; 9 total pages (doc) [Pensioners Register: indicates monthly allowance of $8 [T718, p.161 (doc)]

1830 Molly Mary Ellen Hopkins died at Bowdoin, Sagadahoc, ME

Maine Pensioners of 1835: p. 209 
Rank: Private  Annual Allowance: 96 00  Sums Received: 53 60  Description of service: Massachusetts line  When placed on the pension roll: Janury 28, 1819  Commencement of pension: April 10, 1818 
Maine Revolutionary War Bounty Applications, 1835-36 
George Ridley Place of Enlistment: Harpswell Place of Death: Bowdoin Death Date: 31 Oct 1818  Widow: Mary Place of Application: Bowdoin  2nd Spouse: Rogers 
Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files, Pension #: S37,336. 
Publication Number: M804  Publication Title: Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files  Service: Mass.  Pension Number: S 37,336 
Revolutionary War Land Grants and Pension Applications J-R 
These lists tell the soldier's name, residence, and the source of the application. Maine means a Maine Land Grant, Mass. a Massachusetts Land Grant, HCCR is from the Hancock County Court Records, LCCR is Lincoln County Court Records, and YCCR is York County Court Records.
•Ridley, George - Bowdoin - Maine 
Service Desc: Capt Snow., Col Mitchell; enlisted from Harpswell, ME under Captain Reed on 8 February 1777. He served in the 6th Massachusetts Regiment from 8 February 1777 to 8 February 1780. Rank: PRIVATE 
George Ridley's Revolutionary War Pension file, accessed 7 Jan 2010, his affidavit of service, signed 10 Apr 1818. His application was accepted and he received a pension of $8/month. “I George Ridley, aged fifty seven years, a citizen of the U. States, born in Harpswell in Maine, now resident in Bowdoin, Maine, upon oath testify and declare, that in February 1777 I enlisted as a private soldier in the war of the revolution, against the common enemy, upon the continental establishment, for the term of three years in Capt. John Read's company and Col. Alden's regiment. This period I fully served out and took my final and honorable discharge from the army at West Point Feb. 7, 1700. My discharge I have since lost, and it is not now to my knowledge in existence. I was in battle with the indians at_____, and was in battle with the enemy at Cherry Valley. From my reduced circumstance, I am in need of assistance from my country for support. And I do hereby relinquish all my claims to every pension heretofore allowed me by the laws of the U. States if any; but I am not to my knowledge, borne upon any pension list whatever. I request that I may be placed upon the pension list for the District of Maine.”

From Gideon Tibbetts Ridlon, History of the Ancient Rydales and Their Descendants in Normandy, Great Britain, Ireland, and America from 800 to 1884 Comprising the Genealogy and Biography, for about One Thousand Years, of the Families of Riddell, Riddle, Ridlon, Ridley, Etc. (Manchester, N.H., published by the author, Vox Populi Press: Huse, Goodwin & Co., Lowell, Mass., 1884), pp. 535-36. “Capt. Ridley "enlisted in the army of the Revolution in February, 1777, in the company of Capt. John Reed, and served under Colonels Alden and Brooks about three years and three months.  He was in General Sullivan's expedition against the Six Nation Indians; in the battle of Long Island, and at the surrender of Burgoyne.  He endured great hardships in the expedition up the Susquehannah, when five thousand men penetrated into the Indian country and attacked them in their well-constructed fortifications.  Mr. Ridley said the howling of the savages was appalling and their resistance determined, but they were overpowered, and forty of their villages destroyed.  He was discharged at West Point in 1780, and returned to his home in Maine....He was a main of strong mind and generous heart."

6th (7th) MA Regiment of the Continental Line – Battles & Engagements:
Harpswell supplied 16 men
4 Killed In Action or from wounds
1 Dead of other causes
1 Prisoner of War
Capt. Reed's Company 
43 men from the District of Maine
6 Killed In Action or from wounds
2 Dead of other causes
3 Prisoners of War
at least 4 Wounded

Fort Edward & Fort Ann (29/30th of July 1777) 
A detachment under Lt. McKendry arrived from Cambridge just as the main army was
retreating from the enemy. Some men many have seen action during the retreat.
Saratoga Campaign against the British (7th of October 1777)
Ebenezer Dain of Durham (Capt. Lane)
Nathan Lewis, Sr. of Durham (Capt. Reed)
Caler Leavitt of Harpswell (Capt. Reed)
Ezekiel Sawyer of Falmouth (Capt. Ballard)
Joshua Adams of Falmouth (Capt. Ballard)
Captain Daniel Lane of Buxton (sometime in August)
Escape of Capt. Walter Bulter at Albany, NY (mid April 1778)
Isaac Cosby of Buxton (Capt. Lane)
Engagement with the Iroquois at Cobleskill, NY 30th of May 1778)
John Wilson of Buxton (Capt. Lane)
Jonathan Young of Topsham (Capt. Lane)
James Barton, Jr. of Harpswell (Capt. Reed)
Nathaniel Crediford of Machias (Capt. Allen)
Cornelius Keith of Georgetown (Capt. Reed)
Battle of Monmouth against the British in New Jersey (28th of June 1778) 
No known casualties. Perhaps only a detachment was involved. Sergeant John Dain briefly
describes it in his orderly book, so some were there.
Cherry Valley Attack by the Rangers & Iroquois (10th/11th of November 1778)
Robert Bray of Harpswell (Capt. Reed)
Simeon Hopkins of Harpswell (Capt. Reed)
Thomas Knowles of Topsham (Capt. Reed)
Abijah Additon of Harpswell (Capt. Reed)
Enoch Danforth Jr. of Brunswick (Capt. Reed)
Sergeant Adam Hunter of Topsham (Capt. Reed)
Samuel Proctor of Falmouth later of Lewiston (Capt. Lane)
Joseph Smith of Buxton (Capt. Lane)
Samuel Woodsum of Saco (Capt. Lane)
Sullivan Campaign against the Iroquois in New York State (mid June to early October 1779)
No known casualties. The whole regiment participated.

7th Massachusetts Regiment (1777) Active: 1776-1783 
The 7th Massachusetts Regiment was an infantry regiment of the Continental Army. It was constituted on 16 September 1776, and was originally known as Alden's Regiment after its first colonel, Ichabod Alden. It was organized as seven companies of volunteers from across Massachusetts, and Mayhew's company from the 25th Continental Regiment during the later months of 1776. The regiment was assigned to the Northern Department on 9 February 1777. It was re-assigned to the Highland's Department on 13 March 1777. On 12 June 1777 it was assigned to 2nd Massachusetts Brigade and three days later, 15 June 1777, it was re-assigned to the 1st Massachusetts Brigade. The brigade was re-assigned to the Northern Department on 1 July 1777 and the regiment was relieved from the brigade on 31 March 1778. The regiment re-organized to nine companies on 25 September 1778 and re-assigned to the Northern Department on 14 June 1779. The regiment was re-assigned to the New Hampshire Brigade of the main army on 23 August 1779. On 14 November 1779, the regiment was re-assigned to the 3d Massachusetts Brigade in the Highland Department. On 1 January 1781, the regiment was re-assigned to the 1st Massachusetts Brigade. The regiment was furloughed on 12 June 1783 at West Point, New York and disbanded on 15 November 1783. 
The regiment saw action at the Battles of Saratoga, the Battle of Cobleskill, the Cherry Valley massacre (in which Colonel Alden was killed and Lt. Col. William Stacy was captured), and the Sullivan Expedition. (1) 
Infantry - Massachusetts Line 
Cherry Valley massacre 
Sullivan Expedition 
Colonel Ichabod Alden 
Colonel John Brooks 
Lt. Col. William Stacy 
Lt. Col. Daniel Whiting

Cherry Valley Massacre 
It was a dreary November morning at Fort Alden in the little town of Cherry Valley, NY. A few inches of snow lay on the ground and now a light rain shrouded the landscape with a heavy fog. The men of the 6th (sometimes called 7th) Massachusetts Regiment of the Continental Army went about their normal routines. A few may have been uneasy about the recent news warning of a possible attack, but most felt it was just a rumor - after all, the British Army and the Iroquois didn't fight this late in the season. A few went to the stream to do their laundry. Many officers of the regiment were still enjoying the warmth and dryness of the local residences they used as quarters more than a hundred yards outside the safety of the fort's walls. 

Just before noon, some outlying residents heard a shot in the distance. A lone horseman came charging in from the distant fields shouting something. Suddenly through the fog, hundreds of British Rangers and Iroquois Indians came into view advancing upon the village. The Massacre at Cherry Valley had begun. 

When the 6th Regiment arrived at Cherry Valley, they found the inhabitants living in the church for protection from attack. Col. Alden ordered them to return to their homes. The regiment began building a suitable fort and sending out scouting parties. The fort was complete enough to be christened "Fort Alden" on the 15th of August. The scouting detachments had various small encounters but nothing substantial occurred. Rumors kept coming in about a possible raid on the town. By November, it was believed the season of war had passed and everyone began relaxing. On the 4th the payroll arrived. On the 8th of November fresh rumors of an attack arrived. The townsfolk begged Col. Alden to allow them to move their possessions into the fort for safety. Despite a favorable response from visiting General Hand, Alden refused to allow it. The officers continued to live in the private residences outside the fort. Alden did send out fresh scouting parties along the common routes into town. This move actually backfired and possibly cost him his life. 

The morning before the attack, the enemy discovered the scouting party of Sergeant Adam Hunter. All were taken captive, including Samuel Proctor of Falmouth, Enoch Danforth of Brunswick, Joseph Smith of Buxton, and Sergeant Adam Hunter of Topsham. Robert Bray of Harpswell was killed. Someone among them gave up everything to their captors – regiment strength, locations of officer's quarters, etc., greatly facilitating the success of the attack. 

On the morning of the attack, a number of Iroquois had silently moved into hiding near the officer's quarters. When the attack began, the officer's ran for the fort. For many it was too far and too late. Col. Alden was cut down as he ran. Approximately 150 Rangers with 50 British regulars attack the fort, but the grapeshot from their cannon repelled the attack. Groups of Iroquois (perhaps as many as 400 warriors total) dispersed throughout the settlement unleashing their fury, killing and destroying everything in their path. The men in the fort were helpless to assist the town. Their leader was dead, they were outnumbered at least two to one if not more, and they had very little ammunition on hand. They had to stand by watching and listening as the town and its inhabitants were destroyed. If not for the cannon, the fort and regiment would have been lost as well. 

During his time in service as an orderly sergeant, John Dain of Durham kept a journal. John's entry for the attack states: "this Morning About ten a Clock the Enemy Surrounded the Fort the Number of them we Cannot tell We think thare Was betweain Seven orEight hundred of them Endion and toreys In the first phase thay Killed the Cheaf Col. and took the Left. Col. Prisoners And Likewise Left. holden Ensign Garrett and the Docters mate Prisoners With them -Samuel procter, Samuel Woodsum Charls hudman and Joseph Smith that Went outt A Scoutt the Day before this was took Prisoners With them likewise Was a Good many more belonging to sd Redgt the Enemy I sKilled A Good maney of our men Which we have found all Readey beside Sevearl more missing all thay Killed Belonging to our Regt thay used in the Most Barbous Maner And Also all the Enhabbitance Men Women and Children thay Used in the same Manner." 
At least 13 privates lost their lives. All the bodies were mutilated. Four officers were taken captive along with at least 1 sergeant and 10 privates. Of the privates killed and captured - as many as 9 where in the scouting party taken the day before, the others were probably doing their laundry at the stream or on guard at the officer's quarters when the attack began. 

It must have been so very demoralizing for our men to stand by helpless. First, the loss of their friends at Cobleskill due to the poor judgment of an inexperienced officer, then they watched as a whole settlement and its inhabitants were destroyed before their eyes. They must have felt betrayed by Col. Alden for not heeding the warnings or perhaps even betrayed by General Washington for not providing them with qualified leaders. The British Rangers added salt to the wound when they captured the regimental colors and burned them in view of the fort. 

When the smoke settled, 32 inhabitants (mostly women and children) lay dead or dying, 70 were taken captive, almost all the livestock killed or taken away, and all the buildings except the fort, were burned to the ground. 

News of the Cherry Valley attack appeared in The Boston Gazette on the 7th of December. Only the officers killed or missing were named. Within days, word would have made it's way to Maine, leaving many families with serious concerns about the fate of their loved ones. Sergeant John Dain returned home on furlough and was in Maine in February. Certainly he shared his sad news with the families of those lost. The families of those killed began the process of grieving. For those taken captive, their families could only pray for their survival and eventual return. 

The day after the attack on Cherry Valley, Capt. Butler convinced the Iroquois to release a large number of civilians, but the Rangers kept 2 civilian families to be exchanged for loyalist families held by the Americans. The military prisoners remained with the Iroquois. The captives were taken down the Susquehanna to the Tioga, up the Tioga, across Seneca Lake and down the east side to the village of Kanadaseaga. They traveled a couple hundred miles and arrived at the village late in November. Here the enemy divided the spoils and their prisoners. 

On the 12th of the following February (1779) Sergeant Hunter returned after escaping from the village of Oghwaga. He stated Lt. Col. Stacy had been moved to Niagara, while the rest were held among the Iroquois. The officers and several privates were eventually taken to Niagara then Canada where they languished in British prisons until near the end of the war. It appears many of the Cherry Valley men where adopted by the Iroquois, despite a British order forbidding the Iroquois to adopt war prisoners. 

The Battle of Cherry Valley (Massacre) 
November 10, 1778 at Cherry Valley, New York 
American Forces Commanded by Col. Ichabod Alden
British Forces Commanded by Walter Butler & Chief Joseph Brant 
Conclusion: British Victory 
Order of Battle: 
British: 321 Brant's Volunteers and other Iroquois, 150 Butler's Rangers, 50 8th Regiment of Foot 
Americans: 7th Massachusetts Regiment, 250 settlers and milita 
The Cherry Valley Massacre was all about revenge; revenge on the part of Tories and Iroquois for the destruction of Oquaga, Unadilla, Tioga, and other settlements, and revenge of another kind by an irascible Tory named Walter N. Butler. 
In the summer of 1777, Butler was captured red-handed behind American lines near Fort Dayton. At the home of Hector Shoemaker, who had been in the King's commission of peace, Butler, 10 soldiers and 3 Mohawk warriors were caught in the treasonous act of persuading colonists to fight the rebels and remain loyal to British rule. Butler was livid at being captured, and during his court marshal as a spy Butler was seriously disruptive and uncooperative. His irascible nature likely hastened the death sentence quickly given by the Court. Soon after, because of family connections, Gen. Benedict Arnold granted Butler a reprieve from death, but he was thrown into the notorious Albany jail. 
Conditions in the jail were worse than bad. Food, what there was of it, was spoiled and wormy, and treatment by jailers cruel and vindictive. Those supporting the rebel cause had little respect for Tories supporting King George. Also, there was hardly a family in the Albany-Mohawk Valley area that had been spared the death of relatives at the hands of Six Nations Indians, Tories or British troops. Jailed Tories did not have an easy time. 
Walter got lucky. Years earlier, he had spent months in Albany, reading for the law. He also had many relatives and friends there, and his family was prominent in the area. After spending the fall and winter of 1777 in rough conditions in jail, Walter got a break. He feigned an illness, and at the request of Butler's family, Gen. ?? Lafayette had Butler's quarters changed to a private house. Only one provincial soldier was assigned to guard the prisoner. 
The owners of the house were Tory sympathizers, and they resented the rebels who commandeered their home to make it a private jail. One moonless night, with help from the Butler family and a voluptuous young lady, the guard was plied with strong drink and passed out -drunk. A horse and supplies were waiting for Walter, and he made his cautious west to join his father at Niagara. 
Butler had to travel at night to avoid rebel sympathizers and scrounge food and shelter from known Tories along the route. By the time he joined his father, he had made a solemn pledge to extract serious revenge for the harsh treatment he had received during his long months in the Albany Jail. 
Butler immediately started laying his plans for revenge. He wrangled command of a detachment of his father's Butler's Rangers plus obtained permission to recruit any Indian he encountered, including any force led by the Mohawk leader, Chief Joseph Brant, if he could be intercepted. While on his way from Niagara to a rendezvous with the Rangers at Tioga, Butler located Brant who was returning to winter-quarters at Niagara. Brant did not like the young Butler. He had little use for the arrogant, evil-tempered Englishman, and was miffed for being given a subordinate position under him. However, they apparently settled their differences and Brant joined his 500 men with Butler's 200 Tories and Indians. 
Brant was furious with the colonials for destroying his home and the buildings, crops and food stores at Oquaga. It forced many of his people northward toward Canada. He had planned to winter over at his home and plan raids for the following spring. As it was, he headed toward Fort Niagara with very little food, and many of his men scattered to different villages to join displaced families. 
At the Tioga rendezvous, Butler and Brant selected Cherry Valley for their attack. The Seneca name for Cherry Valley was Karightongegh, meaning "Oak Woods". It was a settlement remarkable for it's pious inhabitants and spectacular beauty. Unlike many border settlements, the people of Cherry Valley were intelligent and of good moral character. For example, they wouldn't attend meetings of the Tryon County Committee of Safety on Sundays unless, as they wrote, "circumstances would super-exceed the duties to be performed in attending the public worship of God." 
However beautiful, Cherry Valley was in an exposed position. The Marquis de Montcalm ordered a fort built there earlier in that spring of 1778. Command of the fort was given to Colonel Ichabod Alden, an arrogant English officer who led a back-east regiment. He was inexperienced in Indian warfare and most impressed by his own opinion of his abilities. The choice of Ichabod Alden to command "Fort Alden" would prove to be a tragic mistake. 
As October wound down, Alden became convinced there would be no concentrated attack on Cherry Valley until possibly the following spring. 
On November 8, Alden received a hastily written message from Fort Schuyler, warning that Tories and Indians would attack his post. The message, carried by Capts. James Parr and Michael Burd, was brief. 
We were just now informed by an Oneida Indian (Thomas Spencer) that yesterday an Onondaga Indian arrived at their castle from one of the branches of the Susquehanna, called the Tioga. That he was present at a great meeting of Indians and Tories at that place and their result was to attack Cherry Valley, and that young Butler was to head the Tories. I send you this information that you may be on your guard. 
I am Sir, yours, &etc. 
Robert Cochrane Major, Commanding 
Colonel Ichabod Alden 
Fort Alden - Cherry Valley 
As it was late in the season, settlers who brought their belongings to the fort for protection that summer had already taken them back to their homes. Now, with the warning, when they asked Alden for permission to bring their valuables back to the fort, Alden scoffed at the warning, calling it an "idle Indian rumor" and turned them down. He assured the settlers he would ;" vigilant scouts and be at all times prepared to warn them of any approaching danger." 
On November 9, Alden sent scouts in various directions. Those who traveled down the Susquehanna unknowingly walked directly into the face of the enemy. On their third night out, one group of 10 men made a serious mistake. Sgt. Adam Hunter also didn't believe there would bean attack this late in the season, and was tired of cold, fireless nights. He told his men to build a large fire and they all slept beside it for warmth. They woke up the next morning as prisoners. 
Adam Hunter woke up looking into a ring of Tories and Indian faces. Walter Butler recognized the sergeant. Hunter realized in fear that he was looking into the face of the man he once guarded in an Albany home who had escaped and very nearly caused his demotion. 
After grilling Hunter and the prisoners for about an hour they got all the information about the settlement they needed, Butler and Brant moved toward the valley. They camped on top of a thickly evergreened hill about a mile southwest of the village. Snow fell that night, turning to rain by morning. The valley was covered with thick mist and fog. The attackers moved quickly and silently toward the village. 
Officers of the garrison were lodged with families near the fort. And, with continued assurances by Colonel Alden that it was too late in the season for an attack, everyone relaxed. Alden and his Lt. Col. ?? Stacy stayed with Robert Wells, a respected judge of the county, who was a close friend of Col. John Butler, (Walter's father). About 20 regular soldiers also stayed at the Wells farm. Knowing where all the officers were staying, the attackers started to infiltrate the village, intending to creep up on the officer's billets. However, on the outskirts of town, an Indian fired at two men, killing one and wounding the other. Although seriously wounded, the survivor rode to the Wells house warning Colonel Alden and sounded the alarm in the village. 
Continuing to evidence his arrogance and ignorance, Alden still did not believe it was an attack of force. He insisted it was likely the work of a lone straggler. Before he could call in his scouts or organize a defense, the Indians were upon them. 
Unfortunately for the settlers, before entering the village, Butler halted his rangers so they could check their firearms. Their powder was wet. Some reports claim the pause was intentional, allowing the Senecas, the most ferocious of the Six Nations, into the vanguard of the attack. The rangers might have been able to curb some of the Seneca thirst for blood. The evening before Butler had cautioned his men against unwarranted cruelty. Instead, the Senecas immediately surrounded the Wells house, and, with several Tories, slaughtered the entire family. They killed Robert Wells, his wife, his brother and sister, John and Jane, 3 of his sons, Samuel, Robert, and William and his daughter Eleanor. The only survivor of the family was a son John who was at school in Schenectady. Ironically, Robert Wells had taken his entire family to safety in Schenectady some months before, but returned home when the danger of attack appeared over. 
Alden attempted to escape from the Wells house He was chased down a road for some distance by an Indian. Brant repeatedly shouted for his surrender. Alden refused, making a fatal mistake by stopping, turning and firing his pistol repeatedly at Brant. His powder was wet, and the pistol misfired each time. Finally, the Mohawk chief hurled his tomahawk hitting Alden in the head, killing him instantly. Brant tore his scalp from him before he hit the ground. 
The massacre of the Wells family was particularly barbaric. One story claims one of the Tories boasting he killed the unarmed Mr. Wells as he prayed. A better source states that Butler killed Wells, which is more likely. 
As the Indians broke into the house, Wells' sister, Eleanor, tried to hide in a woodpile. She was intercepted by Little Beard who grabbed her, took his tomahawk from his belt, and aimed his tomahawk at her head. A Tory, ranger Peter Smith, once a servant in the Wells house, jumped in front of the Indian to stop him, claiming she was his sister. Eleanor knew some words of the Mohawk language and begged the Indian for mercy. With one hand, the Iroquois pushed the Tory away from the girl and with the other, buried his weapon in her temple. 
The garrison was under daylong assault by Tories and Butler's rangers. The Indians avoided the fort, always fearful of cannon shot, especially grapeshot. They preferred killing, plundering and laying waste to the village and outskirts. They had no opposition, since they outnumbered the garrison force more than two to one. Those inside the fort saw the futility in venturing out to try and stop them. 
Other Cherry Valley families who suffered the Indians, and equally vicious Tories, included the Rev. Samuel Dunlop and a Mr. Mitchell. Mrs. Dunlop was killed outright, sharing the fate of her sister, Mrs. Wells. Mr. Dunlop and another daughter would have been murdered but for Little Aaron, a chief of the Oghkwaga branch of Mohawks. Little Aaron led the aged, infirm old man to a doorway, where he stood beside him for protection. Indians tried to take his clothes, but the sachem stopped them. Rev. Dunlop never recovered from the event. His nerves were shattered, and he died within a year of the massacre. 
Mr. Mitchell's situation was even more tragic. In the field working when he spotted the Indians, he realized he was cut off from the house. He headed into the woods, hiding until the attackers moved on. When he returned, his house was on fire, and he found his wife and 3 of their children inside, murdered. His fourth, a girl of 10 years old, although mangled and left for dead, was still alive. After putting out the small house fire, he carried his girl to the doorway, tending her wounds. He noticed a straggling party of attackers approaching. He just had time to hide, when a Tory sergeant named Newberry ran up to the door, and with a shout, drove his hatchet into the head of the little girl. 
Newberry's savagery typified actions of many Tories during this period. Many who supported English rule were especially fearful of losing lands they had cultivated and improved over the years. In many cases their savagery far outstripped that of the Indians. The following summer, by order of General James Clinton, Newberry was executed for his atrocities on the gallows at Canajoharie. 
Several other families were cut off by the Indians, and in all, 32 settlers of Cherry Valley -- mostly women and children -- were killed. In addition, 16 soldiers died. Some of the inhabitants escaped, but many were wounded and/or taken prisoner. 
Mrs. Clyde, the wife of Colonel Clyde, who was not in the area at the time, reached the deep woods with all her children except her oldest son, Abigail, who wasn't to be found. Although the Indians prowled the woods around her, she and the children remained hidden until the next day. Abigail had escaped also, but as she was trying to rejoin her mother the next day, she was intercepted and did not survive. Col. Colin Campbell was away from the village when the attack started, but hurried home when he heard the alarm gun from the Fort. He arrived to find his property destroyed, a member of his household killed and his wife and four children carried away as prisoners. 
The following listing is from a letter in the Draper Manuscripts written Nov. 24, 1778 by M. Richey, who arrived a day after the massacre at Cherry Valley. An excerpt from his letter illustrates the massacre 
"I was never before a spectator of such a scene of distress and horror. The first object that presented was a woman lying with her four children, two on each side of her, all scalped; the next was the wife of the Rev. Mr. Dunlop, likewise scalped, stripped quite naked, and much of her flesh devoured by the Indian dogs. But it would be tedious to mention all the shocking spectacles that were to be seen. I shall only give you the general account as I took it down:" 

After the attack was over, 182 inhabitants of Cherry Valley were homeless, and all foodstuffs had been destroyed or carried away. It was early in November, and winter was already settling in with freezing weather. 
The prisoners were marched double-time two miles south of the Fort the evening of the massacre. Large fires were kindled in a circle and the prisoners were herded into the center for the night. Many were half-clothed and they all huddled together shivering on the wet, cold ground. During the night the Indians divided the spoils, and the march was continued in the morning. A party of Indians returned to the village to search the ruins, bUT were driven off by the arrival of militia reinforcements. 
The Indians and prisoners hadn't traveled far that second day when Walter Butler stopped the march. All the prisoners were brought together in a group. Butler told them they would all be released to return to Cherry Valley. There were two exceptions: Mrs. Campbell and her four children and Mrs. Moore and her children. Butler decided to keep them prisoners to punish their husbands for their activities against the King during the border wars. 
When Walter Butler and his father fled to Canada, his mother and her younger children had been left behind. The Committee of Safety held them, and permission to follow the husband and son to Canada had been repeatedly denied. The returned prisoners were given a letter Butler wrote to Gen. Philip Schuyler, dated November 12, 1778. 
I am induced by humanity to permit the persons whose names I send herewith, to return, lest the inclemency of the season, and their naked and helpless situation, might prove fatal to them, and expect that you will release an equal number of our people in your hands, amongst whom I expect you will permit Mrs. Butler and family to come to Canada; but if you insist upon it, I do engage to send you, moreover, an equal number of prisoners of yours, taken either by Rangers or Indians, and leave it to you to name the persons. I have done everything in my power to restrain the fury of the Indians from hurting women and children, or killing the prisoners who fell into our hands, and would have more effectively prevented them, but they were much incensed by the late destruction of their village of Anguaga (Unadilla) by your people. I shall always continue to act in that manner. I look upon it beneath the character of a soldier to wage war with women and children. I am sure you are conscious that Colonel Butler or myself have no desire that your women or children should be hurt. But, be assured, that if you persevere in detaining my father's family with you, that we shall no longer take the same pains to restrain the Indians from prisoners, women and children, that we have heretofore done." 
I am your humble servant, 
Walter N. Butler 
Capt. of the Rangers" 
(Butler neglects to mention the fact that women and children made up the majority of those killed at Cherry Valley.) 
With most of their prisoners released, Butler, Brant and the Indians continued on down the Susquehanna to its confluence with the Tioga, then headed up that river to Seneca country and on to Niagara. Mrs. Cannon, an aged lady, and mother of Mrs. Campbell, was too old to keep up. On the second day, exhausted, an Indian tomahawked her as she stood beside her daughter. On their return to Niagara, the Indians killed an English family named Braxton, who lived on Butternut Creek, reducing their buildings to ashes. 
For generations, Joseph Brant has been accused of ordering the atrocities at Cherry Valley. On the contrary, early documents show he was not in command of the raid, and in fact did his best to save inhabitants from the axe. However, even if he had been in command, It is doubtful he could have produced a more humane result. Walter Butler was in command and made that fact clear to everyone. When Walter's father heard about the murder of the Wells family, he was shocked at his son's conduct. "I would have gone miles on my hands and knees to save that family, and why my son did not do it, God only knows." The senior Butler then accused Brant of secretly ordering the Indians to the bloody massacre to bring shame on his son's name and in retribution for not being given command. 
For generations Brant has been accused of being the vicious, bloodthirsty ring leader of the Massacre of Cherry Valley. However, there are too many indications that Walter Butler was carrying out his pledge of vengeance for his treatment in the Albany jail. For example, Butler has been charged that on the night before the battle, some of his rangers wanted to secretly warn their friends in the village of the pending attack, but Butler refused to allow it. He didn't want anyone to escape the attack. Butler also stopped his rangers short of the village, ordering them to replace the powder in their weapons. Butler knew full well the Senecas would take that opportunity to start the massacre. He made no effort to stop them. 
Walter N. Butler was shot, wounded and then tomahawked by an Oneida Indian on October 24, 1781, in the last important engagement of the Revolutionary War. After the Battle of Johnstown, Indians pursued Butler as he fled the field. He was shot and killed a few miles above Herkimer as he crossed West Canada Creek. - See more at:http:// 

Cherry Valley was a little settlement about 60 miles west of Albany, New York, at the headwaters of the Susquehanna River and just a stone throw away from the Mohawk Valley. The region was ripe with British sympathizers along with British Ranger Units and their Iroquois Indian allies. Settlements throughout the region had been under attack from the enemy and the people lived in terror from the constant British and Indian raids. Upon arriving at Cherry Valley the end of July, the 6
th (7th) Massachusetts Regiment commanded by Col. Ichabod Alden (approx.250 soldiers) found the townsfolk living in the meeting house – over two hundred men, women, and children crowded into one building day and night for weeks. They were very glad to learn the regiment was being stationed in their town and immediately began moving back into their homes. The solders were housed in local barns, while the officers resided with townsfolk. The regiment's first business was to build a sturdy fort, which was christened "Fort Alden" on the 15th of August. 

1778 | Cherry Valley, NY 
Throughout late summer and fall the regiment was on constant alert and regularly sent out scouting parties looking for enemy. Snow began falling in mid October. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief, believing the enemy threat was over for the season. Armies did not wage war once snow covered the ground and Iroquois men usually went hunting. On November 8th, Col. Alden received word that a raid by British Rangers under Capt. Butler and Iroquois led by Chief Joseph Brant was imminent. He chose not to believe it would happen that late in the season, thinking it only an idle rumor. The townsfolk begged to be allowed to move their food stores and valuables into the fort, but Col. Alden believed it would be wasted effort. However, the Colonel did send out additional scouting parties. Sergeant Adam Hunter led one of the scouting parties. When the soldiers of the scout awoke on the morning of November 10th, they were prisoners, staring into Butler's muskets. Upon intense interrogation, a soldier told Butler all he knew about the regiment at Cherry Valley, including mention of the officers being quartered outside the fort. 

11 Nov 1778 | Cherry Valley, NY 
Snow fell again on November 10th, turning to rain early the next morning. The settlement was shrouded in fog. The officers, quartered about 400 yards from the fort, lingered in the warm, dry homes. About forty of the enlisted men decided to go down to the stream to do their laundry. About noon a shot rang out and through the fog came 200 British and perhaps 300 Iroquois Warriors. They killed the Colonel as he ran toward the fort. Several officers were taken prisoner along with enlisted men guarding the officers' quarters. Those doing laundry at the stream were also exposed. The fort was attack, but had been built well and housed several cannon, which quickly and effectively repulsed the enemy. The regiment was heavily outnumbered and unable to venture beyond the walls of the fort. The enemy remained in the town for the next 36 hours, killing the unlucky and destroying property at will, while the regiment could only stand by in the safety of the fort and watch. 

1778 | Cherry Valley, NY 
As the last embers died, most accounts claim; 32 civilians (mostly women & children) dead, 70 captured and carried away (mostly women & children), 15 soldiers dead (including Col. Alden), 5 officers captured, and about a dozen enlisted men captured. Property destroyed included; 32 houses, 31 barns, 2 mills, the blacksmith shop, food stores, cattle, and other livestock. One hundred and eighty-two civilians were left without food, clothing, or homes at the beginning of winter. The enemy force claimed only 2 soldiers and 3 Indians wounded. On the 15th, 40 of the civilian captives were released and returned to Cherry Valley for melancholy family reunions. The regiment was very low on supplies and out of food - and the snow began to fall again, piling up knee deep. 

11 Nov 1778 | Cherry Valley, NY 
The Cherry Valley military prisoners were not paroled in the normal manner of the time period. Brant's Iroquois had captured soldiers earlier in the year and were outraged to have those prisoners released to face them in battle once again. They were determined not to let that happen this time, and so the Cherry Valley prisoners were held through the winter by the Iroquois, each apparently suffering different fates as time wore on. On February 12th, Sergeant Hunter arrived at Fort Alden after escaping from his captors. He stated Col. Stacey had been moved to Fort Niagara, but the others were scattered among the Iroquois. We know from accounts of the civilian captives, they were marched "... down the Susquehanna to its junction with the Tioga, thence up the Tioga to near its source, and thence across to the head of Seneca Lake, and along down the eastern border of the lake to the Indian castle and village of Kanadaseago" a few miles from present day Geneva. They traveled 2 to 3 hundred miles and arrived at the village in late November. Upon arrival they would have faced the gauntlet - a practice by most Woodland Indians of lining up the villagers in two lines facing each other and forcing captives to run between the lines, while being struck from both sides. After surviving he march then the gauntlet, the soldiers were faced with surviving the winter in the hands of the Iroquois. 

11 Nov 1778 | Cherry Valley, NY 
11 Nov 1778 | Cherry Valley, NY 
1. Pelatiah Adams (Bradford & Chelmsford, MA), private [CAAC Capt.Ballard], [MSSWR v.1 p.68]. 
2. Robert Bray (Harpswell, ME), private Reed's Company [CAAC Capt.Reed], taken prisoner on the 10th, reported 12-Feb-1779 by Serg.Hunter as killed [JCDL], {MSSRW v.2 p.450]. 
3. Gideon Day (New Salem, MA), private [CAAC Capt. Patrick], [MSSWRv.4 p.572]. 
4. Oliver Deboll (Sprinfield, MA), private [CAAC Capt. Ballard],[MSSWR v.4 p.640]. 
5. Daniel Dudley (Westford, MA), private [CAAC Capt. Ballard], [MSSWRv.5 p.4]. 
6. Robert Henderson (Boston, MA), private [CAAC Capt. Reed], [MSSWRv.7 p.720]. 
7. Thomas Holden (Barre), private [CAAC Capt. Reed], [MSSWR v.8p.114]. 
Simeon Hopkins (Harpswell, ME), private [CAAC Capt. Reed], [MSSWRv.8 p.244], his body was found 2-Feb-1778 [JCDL]. 
9. Thomas Knowles (Topsham, ME), private {CAAC Capt. Reed], [MSSWR v.9p.377]. 
10. Thomas Myers or Mier (Germany), private {CAAC Capt. Allen], [MSSWRv.11 p.259]. 
11. Thomas Sheriden (Ireland), private [CAAC Capt. Allen], [MSSWR v.14p.133]. 
12. Benjamin Worsley (Stoughtonham, MA), private [CAAC Capt. Patrick],[MSSWR v.17 p.900]. 

And perhaps these two men, who died on Nov. 30 {maybe of wounds?} 
Ebenezer Taunt or Tant (Stoughton, MA), private [CAAC Capt. Patrick]. 
Pomp Cook (New Salem, MA), private [CAAC Capt. Patrick]. 

11 Nov 1778 | Cherry Valley, NY 
1. Abijah Alberton, private, {CAAC Capt. Reed], [not found MSSWR], {no other info}. 
2. Enoch Danford or Danforth (Brunswick, ME), private [CAAC Capt. Reed], returned to service by 1-Jan-1780 [MSSWR v.4 p.392] 
3. Ephraim Dutton (Westford, MA & Ludlow VT), private [CAAC Capt. Ballard] - "taken prisoner by the Indians and remained a prisoner until the forepart of October {1779} ..., and was then released by the Indians" [RWPR #S.39472], returned to service by 1-Jan-1780 [MSSWR v.5p.99]. 
4. Andrew Garrett (Boston, MA), private or sergeant, promoted to Ensign 1-Nov-1778 and transferred (on paper only) to the 4th Regiment. His commission was confirmed during his captivity [CAAC Capt. Lane],"... and myself were taken, but the men of our corps were killed – and I remained a prisoner three years, one year of which was with the Indians." [RWPR #S.33262], "sent November 1782 by Sea to Boston"[ROP], [MSSRW v.6 p.295-6 & 299]. 
5. Charles Hudman or Hudson (Oxford & Boston, MA), private [CAAC Capt. Lane], on scout [JDOB], {also "deserter" dated 18-Aug-1782, he may have been the man in the scouting party that succumbed during interrogation and gave information to the enemy}, [MSSWR v.8 p.454]. 
6. Adam Hunter (Topsham, ME), sergeant in Capt. Reed's Company [MSSWRv.8, pg.545] taken Nov. 10 while on scout [JBCVM], escaped captivity and returned to his company 12-Feb-1779 [JCDL], [Compiled Service Record ]. 
7. Ira Johnson (Sturbridge & Brookfield, MA) private [CAAC Capt. Coburn], returned from captivity April 22, 1779 [MSSWR v.8 p.832]. {he may have been held at Onondaga Castle, which was liberated on the 21
st of April, 1779}. 
8. Isaac Parmeter or Parmenter (Oakham & Hardwick, MA), private [CAAC Capt. Reed], "... taken in by the Enemy Indians and keep by them 11 months or there abouts and then given up to the British and remained with them 13 months and then was sent in an exchange with Col. Butlerand Mrs Campbell of Cherry valley ..." [RWPR #W.18694], {appears he lost no pay!} [MSSWR v.11 p.943]. 
9. James Parmeter or Parmenter (Oakham, MA), private [CAAC Capt.Reed], {no details found - appears he lost no pay!} [MSSWR v.11p.943]. 
10. Samuel Proctor (Falmouth, ME), private [CAAC Capt. Lane], on scout [JDOB], returned to service by 1-Jan-1780 [MSSWR v.12 p.809].
11. Joseph Smith (unknown), private, "Pris. Nov 11, 78" [Compiled Service Record, Capt. Lane], on scout [JDOB], [not found MSSWR]. 
12. Samuel Woodsum (Saco, ME), private [CAAC Capt. Lane], "... I was taken prisoner and marched to Fort Niagara where I was detained till the next spring 1779 when I was marched to Quebec where I remained till Peace was declared ..." & "... he was taken by Indians while on ascouting party the day before ..." according to Isaac Lane [RWPR#S.29562], on scout [JDOB], "at St Paul's Bay" & "sent Oct. 17, 1782by sea to New York" [ROP], [MSSWR v.17 p.857]. 

Enlisted men apparently did not get paid for time in captivity and did not get credit towards their enlistment time. Samuel Proctor, Ephraim Dutton, and Enoch Danford do not appear on rolls in 1779, but were back on the payroll for all of 1780. They may have been freed from captivity during or as a result of Sullivan's 1779 late summer campaign against the Iroquois. If so, it appears they were allowed time to recuperate from their ordeal before completing their term of enlistment. Of the Officers taken prisoner, we have the following notes; Captain Aaron Holden was moved to Montreal, where he remained 18 months before being exchanged [RWPR #B.L.Wt.910-300] Lt. Col. William Stacy was "sent from Quebec Sept. 1781 by Lake Champlain" [ROP] 

MSSWR = Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in the War of the Revolution, 17 vols. 
JDOB = John Dain's Orderly Book, extract published Apr-1869 in Historical Magazine."... took the Leftn Colo Prisoners and Likewise Leftn holden Engsign Garrett and the Docters mate Prisoners With them- Samuel procter, Samuel Woodsom Charls hudman and Joseph Smith that Went outt A Scoutt the Day before this was took Prisoners With them Like wise Was a Good many more belonging to Sd Redgt ..." 
RWPR = Revolutionary War Pension Records of various soldiers found and
CAAC = Clothing Accounts from Alden's Companies for the year 1778, which identify soldiers deaths and prisoners by date in the remarks -found on and attached to this story. 
ROP = Return of Prisoners sent from the Province of Quebec for Exchange, since the 1st of November 1779 - found in compiled service records at
JCDL = The Journal of Captain Daniel Lane, transcribed and published by Ken Johnson in his book "The Bloodied Mohawk", Picton Press, 2000.[2-Feb-1779] "...
Simon Hopkins of Capt Reads Company which was killed on the Battle of the 11th of Novr 1778 was found Partely Eate up by wild Beasts", [12-Feb-1779] "... Kiled of the Scout Robert Bray Serjant Hunter arived here from the Inians where he has bin a Prisner he was taken on a Scoute ye Day Before the actsion of ye 11th of Novrhe Run away from a place Called Owago and givese us news of Collo Stasey who is gone to Nyagarey and licewise that all the Rest of the oficers as and the Solgers was with the Indians yet." 
[ ]{letter from Captain Bulter dated 6 days after the attack at Cherry Valley}" ... having the Day before taken a rebel scout consisting of a Serg't & eight Privates ... " and " ... the Prisoners a Lieutenant Colonel, a Lieut., an Ensign, the Surgeon's Mate, & 10 Privates ... " 
JBCVM = Brant and the Cherry Valley Massacre ©1998 by Jerod Rosman - all rights reserved.The Bloodied Mohawk, by Ken D. Johnson, Picton Press, 2000.The Cherry Valley Massacre, by David Goodnough, 1965. Other various & numerous websites.

1790 Census
1800 Census
1810 Census
1818 Last Pension Payment 
1820 Census
1830 Census
1835 Revolutionary War Pension Application 
1835 Maine Revolutionary War Bounty Application