Revised 4/10/2017. Copyright @2017; The following Documentary Timeline has been compiled and created by Paul Rhetts. It may be copied for research purposes; but it may not be reproduced for inclusion in any printed or electronic distribution of any kind without the express written permission of the author. Any requests to use this information should be sent to Paul Rhetts, LPDPress@q.com.


John H COOPER (1792-1859) m. Mary Ann MORRIS (1794-1882)
s/o
Benjamin Clark Cooper and Ferribee Sanders
d/o Nathan Morris and Mary Bell are her parents; this is proven in the entry in the Quaker Birth Records for 28 Sep 1794.

11 Oct 1792 John H Cooper born at Wrightsboro, McDuffie, Georgia [Wrightsboro, New Hanover, North Carolina]; he was 7th of 11 children/5th son of Benjamin Clark and Feribee Sanders Cooper.

1794 Brother William Cooper born in Wrightsboro, New Hanover, North Carolina

28 Sep 1794 Mary Ann Morris born at Pasquotank, NC; she was 5
th of 8 children/2nd dau. Of Nathan and Mary Bell Morris. [Nathan Morris and Mary Bell are her parents; this is proven in the entry in the Quaker Birth Records for 28 Sep 1794]

1796 Brother Joseph Cooper born in Wrightsboro, New Hanover, North Carolina

6 Oct 1798 Brother Nathan Morris born in Pasquotank, North Carolina

4 Mar 1799 Sister Sarah Cooper born in Wrightsboro, New Hanover, North Carolina

26 Aug 1801 Brother David Morris born in Pasquotank, North Carolina

1805 Brother Mordecai Cooper born in Wrightsboro, New Hanover, North Carolina

1807 Father Benjamin Clark Cooper died in Jefferson, Tennessee; buried Cemetery on Bluff Location: 1 MI SW of Cooper's Old Fort, Howard CoMO 23 Lost Creek

7 Oct 1811 Mother Mary Bell died in Pasquotank, North Carolina

9 Aug 1821 John H Cooper (age 29) and Mary Ann Morris (age 27) married at Washington, IN

9 May 1822 Son William E Cooper born at Pasquotank, NC; married Sarah J Clarke on 18 Nov 1845 in Washington, IN

7 Dec 1822 Father Nathan Morris died in Symont Creek, Pasquotank, NorthCarolina

1828 Brother Joshua Morris died in Pasquotank, North Carolina

1830 Brother Nathan Morris died

17 Jul 1830 Brother David Morris died in Pasquotank, North Carolina

23 Jan 1835 Son Alfred A Cooper born in Indiana; married Malinda Adaline Wiseman on 2 Dec 1856 in Washington, IN

19 Feb 1835 Brother Caleb Morris died in Wayne, Wayne, Indiana

26 Oct 1835 Dau Mary Ann Cooper born in Washington, IN; married Francis Marion Ratts on 23 Dec 1852 at Washington, IN
26 Jan 1841 Sister Miriam Morris died in Rush, Indiana

9 Mar 1842 Mother Feribee Sanders died in Jefferson, Tennessee

1850 Brother Jesse Morris died

6 Apr 1859 John H Cooper died in Washington, Indiana; buried at Crown Hill Cemetery, Salem, Washington, Indiana
1860 Federal Census

1870 Federal Census

18 Nov 1876 Son Alfred A Cooper died in Indiana

1880 Federal Census

26 Aug 1880 Son William E Cooper died in Salem, Washington, Indiana

2 Dec 1882 Mary Ann Morris died at Salem, Washington, IN (age 88) buried at Crown Hill Cemetery

27 Sep 1885 Daughter Mary Ann Cooper died in Salem, Washington, Indiana

1850 United States Federal Census—Washington, Washington, Indiana
John Cooper 57
Mary Cooper 56
Alford Cooper 24
Mary A Cooper 14
1860 United States Federal Census—Washington,Washington,Indiana
Francis Ratts 26
Mary A Ratts 24
Maria A Ratts 6
William A Ratts 5
Frank Ratts 5/12
Mary A Cooper 67
1870 United States Federal Census—Washington, Washington, Indiana
Francis M Ratts 38
Mary A Ratts 34
Maria A Ratts 16
William A Ratts 14
Francis M Ratts 12
John E Ratts 7
Charlie Ratts 4
Mary Cooper 75
Martha A Gibner 28
George Brickey 27
1880 United States Federal Census — Salem, Washington, Indiana
Francis Ratts 47
Mary A. Ratts 44
Mary A. Cooper 83
Maria Cooper 26
William A. Cooper 25
Francis E. Cooper 20
Edward Cooper 16
Charlie Cooper 13
Hattie Cooper 6
Walker Dr. Paynter 21
John Q. Boyles 26
Charles Frank 38
Indiana, Marriages, 1811-1959
John Cooper and Mary Ann Morris; Marriage; 09 Aug 1821; Washington, Indiana, United States
Marriage License Date: 07 Aug 1821; Residence Place: Washington,; Spouse's Name: Mary Ann Morris; Spouse's Residence Place: Washington,; Spouse's Gender: Female; Officiator's Name: James Harbison; Page: 46; Record Number: 50; GS Film number: 000549460; Digital Folder Number: 004265431; Image Number: 00059
Burial
John Cooper; Birth Date: Oct 1792; Death Date: Apr 1859; Cemetery: Crown Hill Cemetery Burial or Cremation Place: Salem, Washington County, Indiana, USA; http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-...


Manufacturing Enterprises
The first to engage in this line of business was William Lindley. Early in the year 1814 he erected a horse-mill on Lot 37. It wassoon enlarged and a horse-powered carding machine was added. StephenCoffin erected a horse-powered carding and spinning mill on Lot 46.The Forsey Brothers erected a cotton factory in 1825. For many years it was propelled by the old fashioned tread-wheel. Thesame brothers built a "potash factory" on thr side of the hillacross Brock creek, and just opposite and west of Doctor Paynter'sresidence. The building consisted of a long shed running north andsouth. From the entrance on the north to the exit south was a bench,sloping inward, and on these benches stood large tubs into whichashes were thrown, from wagons. The potash enterprise was not asuccess. The first steam engine put up in Salem was in the oil-millbuilt by Woodridge Parker in 1832. It was located on West MarketStreet near the bridge across Brock Creek. It had a set of buhrs forcorn. The first woolen mill was erected and operated by David G.Campbell. Only rolls were made, the women spinning and weaving,after which the factories would full and dress the cloth. These mills gave Salem a great notoriety over the state and further west. The Forsey Brothers, owners of the cotton-mill, spun cotton yarn, atthat time the only mill of the kind in the State. William Smith was a professional weaver. He wove jeans, satinets, coverlids, etc. There was a horse-mill in rear of lot 106. Elias Davis carried on awagon factory on North Main Street on lot 52. Tonis Nixion and Daniel Knight had a steam spinning-factory and wool-carding machine on North Main Street. In 1830 Beebe Booth built a cotton factory on East Market Street. It was run by steam. The machinery was afterward taken out and the building used as a Lutheran Church, Masonic Lodge, and subsequently as a district schoolhouse. Many of our present citizens will remember it, as it was there they first started to school. DePauw's Mill, now operated by W.S. Persfse, was built in 1834. About 1850 an apparatus for manufacturing shingles was attached, but did not continue a great while. The first steam grist-mill, however built in Salem, was erected by Tonis Nixion, Foster Nixion and John Nixion on Lot 136. It was built in 1833, and is now owned and operated by that veteran miller, Gayer Knight. David B. Platt came to Salem in December 1855, and formed a co-partnership with Abaslom Martin and John Gordon for the purpose of manufacturing wagons and carriages. They purchased Lots 29, 30, 121 and 122. The machine shops stood where Mobley's machine shop now stands. The wheel department was two and one half stories high, 60x30. The smith shop was the same and contained nine forges. The second story was used for a wood shop, for making gears and bodies. The paint and trim shops stood where Mobley's repository is now. This firm employed constantly about forty hands. They manufactured hubs, spokes and felloes. Shipped immense lots of finished wheels south. An approximate of the number of new jobs turned out annually may be placed at 1,000. The buildings, together with much of the stock, were totally consumed by fire. February 1, 1859. Loss about $30,000. Salem sustained a heavy blow in the destruction of this enterprise. C.W. Mobley is the owner of the Lots at this time, and besides a large foundry, is manufacturing wagons, carriage setc. John F. Keys carried on a chair manufactory at an early day, and John Cooper and William Walker were wheelwrights. Mr. Kittery manufactured wagons. In 1867 Lee W. Sinclair built the largest woolen-mill at that time in southern Indiana. It was built on Lot 135, three and one half stories high. He subsequently built a large and convenient house for the manufacture of clothing and astorehouse. It was the pride of the town for many years, and gave employment to about 100 persons. The main factory, together with all the machinery and a large amount of stock, was wholly destroyed by fire on the night of the 4th. and morning of the 5th. of December 1833; loss $80,000. This was another terrible drawback on the town, from the effects of which she has not yet fully recovered. Many of the employees were driven away, forced to seek employment, at other points. The clothing department is still in operation, webelieve.

HISTORY OF WASHINGTON COUNTY 1884
Settlement of Polk Township
One of the first permanent settlers was Samuel Gray, who located on Section 29. In the summer of 1811 he came to the township, selected a farm and began the erection of a cabin, but on account of Indian troubles returned to his former home. The next year he came with hisfamily and settled on the farm already entered. A squatter by the name of Joseph Elliott had preceded him and lived for a time upon the land. There were several other squatters at that time but their names are now forgotten. George Preston and Thomas Flowne came in 1813. One a sort of hermit, by the name of Giles, lived in a kind oftent or wigwam in the knobs, very near the line between Nash and Clarke Counties. He lived a very secluded life having as little communications as possible with other residents. He would absent himself from his wigwam for several days and then suddenly make his appearance again. Naturally many strange stories were told regarding his former life, the most of them agreeing that he was a nex-pirate; another that he had served with Napoleon Bonaparte. At the close of the war of 1812 the settlement went on very rapidly, and many families came within the next two or three years. Jedediah Carter settled on Section 19; in 1814 Jacob Bierley settled on Section 31 a year later. In 1816 John and Jacob Tash settled on Blue River near where Pekin now lives. A year or two before that Isaac Davis settled on the quarter Section upon which Pekin is located. The following all came previous to 1817: Ramson Dudley settled on the upper part of Blue River; Richard Morris settled on a quarter section adjoining Isaac Davis; Allen Peeler settled on Section 10 ( he brought out a family by the name of Haberson ) John Jeffs and Jesse Wilson settled on land bought by the latters father. John A. Hurst an Irishman, settled near Flower's Gap: John Morris settled where John Gill now lives; Frederick Louders settled on Section 18; James Wilson on southwest quarter of Section 7; John Lochenour located on the northwest quarter Section of the township; a man by the name of Newton located on an adjoining quarter; John Skelton settled on northwest quarter of Section 7; Leonard Sides located on Section 12; Elisha Allen on Section 21; Floyd Low, John Russell and John Wilson were also among the early settlers of this period.

Milling, Distilling, Etc.
The first Mill was a horse-mill built by Fred Lowe about 1820. He sold it to Ramsom Dudley, who ran it for several years. John Louders built a new girst-mill on Blue River in about 1832. It was afterward owned by William Jackson and Harris Carter. The dam was at last washed out and the mill fell into disuse. Joel Wilson had a saw-mill further up the river It was built between 1830 and 40. The only tan-yard ever opened in this township was a very small affair, owned by John Skelton as early as 1820. Paul Akers had a distillery between 1830 and 35 on Section 22. Joseph Carter also had one about 1830 on his farm. Richard Morris had one near Pekin as early as 1820.

County Stores and Postoffices
The fist goods sold in this township were sold by Alexander Wilson who had a store in a little log house on Section 14, on Blue River, about 1830. Harris Carter had a store about 1835, on the place now owned by Eli Elrod. Among the later store-keepers was John Mottsinger, who had a store east of Farrabees Station. He carried this on for several years. He quit the business about the close of the war. Joel Wilson at about the same time had one near Zoar Church. Butler Wyatt has a store at present and is also Postmaster at Blue River Post office. The first Postmaster at this office was Joel Wilson.

MARY MORRIS, m. Ninth mo. 18, 1813, Josiah Bundy, b. Third mo. 31,1786 Issue: (41) Miriam, b. Sixth mo. 30, 1816; d. Tenth mo. 21, 1834— (42) Susannah, b. Second mo. 24, 1818; d. Eleventh mo. 16, 1895—(43) Nathan, b. Third mo. 20, 1821 ; d. Eleventh mo., 1852 — (44)Ruth, b. Eighth mo. 3, 1822; d. Second mo. 28, 1865— (45) Henry, b.Ninth mo. 21, 1825— (46) Mary, b. Fourth mo. 4, 1828— (47) Caleb M.,b. Seventh mo. 20, 1839; d. Tenth mo. 7, 1899— (48) Josiah, b. Fourthmo. 25, 1833; d. Eleventh mo. 15, 1881.


RECORDS/DOCUMENTS John Mary Ann
1792 John H Cooper born
1794 Bro William Cooper born
1794 Mary Ann Morris born
Quaker Meeting Register-Birth Record
1796 Bro Joseph Cooper born
1798 Bro Nathan Morris born
1799 Sis Sarah Cooper born
1800 Census
1801 Bro David Morris born
1805 Bro Mordecai Cooper born
1807 Father Benjamin Cooper died
1810 Census
1811 Mother Mary Bell died
1820 Census
1821 Marriage Register
1822 Father Nathan Morris died
1822 son William E Cooper born
1828 Bro Joshua Morris died
1830 Bro David Morris died
1830 Bro Nathan Morris died
1830 Census
1835 Bro Caleb Morris died
1835 Dau Mary Ann Cooper RATTS born
1835 Son Alfred A Cooper born
1840 Census
1841 Sis Miriam Morris BINFORD died
1842 Mother Ferribee Sanders died
1850 Bro Jesse Morris died
1850 Bro Joseph Cooper died
1850 Census
1859 John H Cooper died
1860 Bro William Cooper died
1860 Census
1860 Sis Charity Cooper WADE died
1866 Bro Joel Cooper died
1867 Bro Issac Cooper died
1868 Bro Mordecai Cooper died
1869 Sis Sarah Cooper HARRIMAN died
1870 Census
1873 Sis Ferribee Cooper WADE died
1876 Son Alfred E Cooper died
1880 Census
1880 Son William E Cooper died
1882 Bro Absalom Cooper died
1882 Mary Ann Morris died
1882 Grave marker
1883 Bro Benjamin Cooper died
1885 Dau Mary Ann Cooper died